Doom-Bull gives you Wings!
Find the origins of this project post here.
Find the post about painting and Finished model here.
This has been a long time in the works but this week I devoted some time to trying to get my winged Doombull. This post is just about the progress on the wings. Once they are finished I’m going to have some casts made. They each measure 50mm across and 100mm tall and will be a good match Daemon Princes and monsters.
My whole aim with making these was to make them really detailed and ruffled looking because wings featured on most other models (that I know of) are a bit on the flat side.
I started with a paper template, which for anyone trying something like I can’t recommend enough.
With a rough idea of the size of each feather I wanted I then sculpted a range of them on piece of plasticard (half for the right side and half for the left side). I then made 3 Blu-Stuff molds of the feathers. The quick curing time involved stopped me from making just one big mold, three smaller molds is just easier.
With the molds made I then used them about 10 times so far, to cast a pile of feathers.
Taking the easy approach, I used the paper templates and attached some soft copper wire around the edge to reinforce their shape. I also gave the paper a thick coating of PVA glue just to give them some rigidity on which to build on. Starting with the largest feathers first I started layering them from the bottom upwards, fixing them with a small amount of superglue.
So far I’m about a third of the way through this. I still need to do the same on the other side of each wing and before they can be cast there will be a lot of filling in to do.
I’m still playing with the idea of making the wings on my Doombull a magnetized option because I still like my current Doombull as he is. This is one of the reasons to have them cast in resin just to help reduce the weight.
Updated: November 13th 2011.
I got to admit I am so pleased with how this model is finally taking shape. The wings are near completion. I’ve spent most of my free time (which I’ve had much of lately) working on filling the gaps under each of the feathers to ready them for casting. There’s still a bit of filling and the top edges need detailing, and I intend to resculpt the details in one or two places where I’m not entirely satisfied with them. The whole wing making process, is pretty straightforward and the gap filling process wouldn’t be necessary if I wasn’t going to cast them. I still need to sculpt the skin of the “limb” that actually attaches the wings to the model but that should be a no-brainer.
Only thing left to do now is the hands and hooves and maybe a few accessories.
Updated: January 25th 2012
Just a quick update on the casting of the feathered wings I made for my Doombull Champion. Here we have a photo direct from the caster of the first production casts. Even though the master was very difficult to mold and cast the quality looks to be top notch.